Per the recent letter regarding planning for Fall 2021, the University anticipates the following guidelines for gatherings, meetings and events, effective August 21, 2021:
- The COVID-related restrictions on gatherings and events – including meetings, conferences, and performances – are lifted. This means that event venues can once again be utilized, with gathering size to be determined by venue and nature of the event and subject to public health protocols in effect at the time of the event.
- Visitors who are not vaccinated will be expected to mask when attending gatherings on campus. Organizers of events should convey this expectation to attendees.
- The Vice President of University Enterprises and Events is authorized to impose any restrictions on gatherings, including reducing the number of permitted attendees, that might be deemed necessary to protect the health of the campus community or guests.
Current (Summer 2021) Guidelines
This policy applies to any University-sponsored business that may require in-person gatherings larger than incidental meetings, on or off campus. It also applies to third-party gatherings on University property.
- To reduce the risk of the potential spread of COVID-19, departmental, academic, and administrative meetings are encouraged to consider virtual or hybrid models if possible.
- University-sponsored gatherings must be approved by the respective Vice President or Dean or their designee. All attendees are expected to follow all public health and university protocols. All meetings and gatherings should be conducted in accordance with the University's Event Guidelines.
- When possible, groups are encouraged to take advantage of outdoor spaces.
- Event capacities will be determined by University Enterprises and Events whose decisions will be grounded in applicable public health guidance. The acceptable size of an event is subject to change up until the date of the event. For assistance with reserving space and to receive guidance on the University’s Event Guidelines, please call University Events at 574.631.1400 or email VenueND@ND.edu.
- The health and safety protocols for on-campus worship reflect the University’s guidelines for safe gatherings inside non-residential buildings. As such, masks must be worn by anyone celebrating Masses and sacramental liturgies inside the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, but are optional for fully vaccinated students inside residence hall chapels.
- Student gatherings will be conducted in a manner consistent with university health and safety protocols.
- On-campus gatherings hosted by external organizations and those that include attendees who are not part of the University community will be limited and approved by the Vice President for University Enterprises and Events. These gatherings must be operated in accordance with the University’s Event Guidelines and overarching university safety guidelines.
- The University strongly encourages attendees to be fully vaccinated prior to an on-campus gathering.
- Unvaccinated individuals are expected to wear masks.
- Any rare appeals for exceptions to this policy should be made to the University’s Executive Officers (i.e., President, Provost, Executive Vice President). In assessing whether to approve a proposed event on appeal, the Executive Officers will consider: (a) the need for the requested event to take place on the requested date instead of at some later time; (b) the immediate importance of the requested event to the University’s core mission of teaching and research; and (c) the potential long-term consequences to the University of not hosting the requested on the proposed date. Appeals may be submitted by completing the University Gathering Exception Request Form at least four weeks prior to the requested gathering date.
(Effective through August 20, 2021)