General Guidelines for University-sponsored Travel Away from Campus
- As we continue to navigate the COVID-19 global pandemic, all University-sponsored international travel must be approved in advance by the appropriate administrator in order to be eligible for full reimbursement.
- All University travel should align with local health and safety guidelines.
- If a traveler experiences COVID-like symptoms while traveling, the traveler must immediately put on a mask and if a student, contact UHS, or if a faculty or staff member, the Wellness Center. UHS or the Wellness Center will help determine if the traveler needs to temporarily shelter in place, what type of testing is appropriate, and how the traveler can safely travel back to campus.
University-related Domestic Travel
At this time, University-sponsored domestic travel does not need to be approved in advance based on COVID protocol.
There are no universal requirements for domestic traveler COVID-19 testing by Notre Dame or individual states. Before departure, the different restrictions that are in place for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals for a particular location should be determined. For example:
- If vaccinated, the traveler should bring their vaccination card with them. The traveler is encouraged to keep a copy of their card at home in a safe place. There is no need for vaccinated students, faculty or staff to be tested before or after traveling if they are asymptomatic.
- If the traveler is unvaccinated and is required to show a negative COVID-19 test within a certain period of time prior to travel, the traveler may schedule their weekly COVID-19 surveillance test at Notre Dame to fulfill this requirement. The traveler can shift their once a week test to any day Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the University Testing Center. The traveler should allow 24 hours to receive their test result and plan their travel accordingly. Upon return, the traveler will take their usual weekly surveillance test, and no additional test is needed.
Any inquiries regarding the timing of needed tests or vaccination documentation should be directed to the Notre Dame Wellness Center at 574-631-0050 if the traveler is a faculty or staff member or University Health Services at 574-631-7497 if the traveler is a student.
University-related International Travel
Until further notice, University-related international travel must continue to be approved in advance by a vice president or dean. Additionally, all international travel must be registered.
University study abroad programs are carefully vetted; students and faculty confirmed for participation in these programs are approved for travel but should also still register their travel. For more information about the University’s study abroad programs, please visit: https://studyabroad.nd.edu/programs/faqs-for-study-abroad/.
Students, faculty, and staff who are approved for official, international University travel and may be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to departing, may schedule an asymptomatic test at the University Testing Center. This service also includes testing, if required, upon return/reentry from travel.
It is the traveler's responsibility to know what test and documentation is needed prior to scheduling a test. To schedule an asymptomatic international travel test, contact the Notre Dame Wellness Center at 574-631-0050 if the traveler is a faculty or staff member. If the traveler is a student, the traveler should contact University Health Services at 574-631-7497. Documentation of University-approved travel may be requested at the testing center.
The University continues to monitor closely the spread of COVID-19 and its variants, and will modify these guidelines as appropriate.